Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A Wedding Story


I love to plan everything so most of our wedding was planned before we even got engaged. Let me back up. Most of our wedding was planned before I even meet Dustin. I wanted a winter wedding. I wanted to get married in the Salt Lake temple, have a small reception with just close friends and family, and eat lots of food. I wanted a reception at the same place my aunt and uncle had their reception years ago, when I was their flower girl. I also wanted their daughter to be MY flower girl.  Lucky for me, my special day was all that and more.

It all started one day when Dustin and I were out with my grandparents eating at the Cheesecake factory.  Dustin and I had been talking for weeks about getting married and my grandparents knew this. After lunch we decided to wander into Nordstrom for a quick browse. Grandma and I were looking at shoes and she was asking me what kind of shoes I would want to wear with my dress. (She knows my love of shoes!!) I told her purple high heels, but I was having the hardest time finding ones that were just perfect. That's when my cute silent grandpa held up a shoe and said "Kinda like this?" 


 15 minutes later I had them in the car, safely strapped into a seat belt between Dustin and I. Grandma was so excited about buying my first wedding accessory with me. I was a little freaked out that I had bought something for my "wedding" without actually being engaged, but then I thought "Well, if it doesn't work out, at least I have a cute new pair shoes!" The guys had had enough shopping for one day and grandma was talking about going dress shopping. I agreed, but swore up and down that I wasn't going to try anything on. Just looking. I already had an idea in mind of what I wanted my dress to look like. We dropped off the boys and headed to a dress shop I had always liked. It was a fancy place and every dress in the place was a huge beaded mess with a even bigger price tag. I left feeling like I would never find a dress like the one I was looking for. On the way home grandma saw another dress shop named Danielle's Bridal. She made me stop saying "We have to go in there. It has your name on it." We walked in, went over to the first rack, pushed a side a few dresses and pulled one out to examine. It was beautiful. I kept looking it over looking for something that was wrong with it. Something to make me say nan that's not it. But it was it. Sweetheart neckline, Mermaid Aline skirt, vintage lace, with big buttons up the back take forever to button. Somehow I found myself in it and beaming as the lady selling it told us how lovely I looked and how it was just made for me. I'm sure they say that to every girl that goes in there but I love her just the same. The dress was also on sale and I got another 20% off if I bought it that day. I'm a sucker for a bargain, and with grandma's encouragement I bought the first and only wedding dress I have ever worn.

Dustin just laughed at me when I told him what had happened. I will swear into my dying day that I did not plan on buying a wedding dress that day, It just sorta of happened. But thankfully Dustin was grinning ear to ear and wanted to know all about it while he rubbed my back and I knew again that I was marrying a man who truly loves me.

 A few weeks later we got engaged and the real wedding planning started. We really only had two months to plan the wedding because I still wanted a winter wedding and in my mind February is the end of winter. It really wasn't as hard as people make it out to be and luckily, Dustin was involved with every aspect. Not because he likes weddings, (he doesn't), but because he just wanted to be with me 24 7! 

The morning of the wedding was so cold and windy. I woke up in our future first place together, and got ready all alone. (with zero hot-water I might add) I was calm. I remember looking out the window and saying out loud "Am I really getting married?"  I thought I would wake up feeling like an adult. Mature and lady like. Not me, awkward mess who can't control what comes out of her month and has chocolate melting all over everything in her purse.

Dustin and I rode to the temple together with his dad and one of my bridesmaids. I don't remember much after that other then waiting on a couch with Dustin. Waiting to be married. Such a weird feeling. In no time at all we were lead into  the room our small group of family and friends were waiting for us in. I remember saying "Now what?" 

And then we got married. 


And that was that. Not really as big of a deal is you think it might be. The rest of the day is kinda a blur of pictures and people. Of course things went wrong or didn't turn out like I had planned, and I would love to do it all over again. But I'm going to remember that day for the rest of eternity as the day I started my new life with my best friend and love. Dustin is truly the kindest, most loving man I have ever met and I know he was saved just for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment