Tuesday, May 1, 2012

How It All Started

Dustin and I met in June 2011. He had just moved to Salt Lake a few days earlier to finsh his undergrad at the University of Utah and to spend some male bonding time with his older brother Tyler. Tyler just happened to be dating one of my roommates at the time, (They are now married) and they both lived in our singles ward. It was only a matter of time...
The first time we met was at a family home evening activity. I don't remember actually meeting but apparently I made an impression. We played softball and as anyone who knows me knows I was terribley awkward and clumsy. Running around in my flip flops and laughing with embarrassment when I couldn't throw a ball in the right direction. I'm sure I was super annorying but he thought I was cute and asked his brother about me.

The next monday at another FHE Dustin made his move. It was another physical activity and again I was an idiot. Dustin is a shy guy but he walked right up to me and started a conversation. I honestly didn't think much about it because I thought he was 19 years old! HA
We eneded up going on a hike that night and then drove around in his truck for hours talking. Well, I did most of the talking because he's not much of a talker and it took a while for him to warm up to me. We spent almost every night that week together doing who knows what! One night he took me to temple square and we held hands. I told him I really wasn't into guys taking me to the temple because it was cheesey but he just laughed it off and took me anyway. Another night we went to Liberty park after dark. We swung on the swinings and played hid'n'go seek. He later told me that was when he knew he wanted to be with me. GAG! It took me alittle longer to come around.

That saturday we had our first real date. I remember it was saturday because when he ask to take me out on friday I told him I already had a date planned that night. He replied "What about saturday?" with a big goofy smile on his face. I couldn't say no.
After that we spent pretty much everyday today. It was just easy. He understands me better than anyone and likes all my quirks.
 
Not saying everything was always perfect because it defiently wasn't. It took me a long time to trust Dustin and even longer to trust the way I felt about him. One time I tried to break up with him so when he came over for dinner I made him tuna helper. He ate it without any complaints. We then went to the park and as we were sitting on the bench decussing where our relationship was going, I told him we should date other people. Code for WE SHOULD BREAK UP! But sweet little Dustin said with that goofy smile back on his face "I dont want to date anyone else." What do you say to that?

Over the next 6 months we had lots of simiar walks in the park, and I eventually realized, with the help of countless hours on the phone to my grandma, that I had found the person I was going to marry. Dustin is so patient and such a sweetheart. He loves me better than anyone. I am very lucky.

The proposal is kinda a lame story... Dustin had just gotten back from a long trip to South Carolina to visit his parents for christmas. I knew he had a ring and I knew he had shipped it to his brothers house because he asked me to drive over and pick up a small box and bring it with me to the airport but not to look in it. haha He's not that good with surprises. Apparently, he wanted to propose at the airport right after he got off the plane. Well, when his brother found out his plan he talked him out of it. Mostly because he didn't trust me not to open the box before I got there. So instead I picked him up from the airport at 11pm and we drove straight to his brothers house. I waited down stairs for him to get the ring and quickly realised how tired I was and how I just wanted to go to bed.

Dustin came down and honestly tried to get me back in the car so he could take me somewhere but I was being a poop and refused that idea. As I was laying on the floor I told him to say whatever he had to say and lets be done with it. He laid on the floor next to me and I said yes.

3 comments:

  1. I love you two. So stinkin cute. And I am do glad you have ablog

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cute! And that proposal story made me laugh, not lane at all, super cute and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha I love this! He is perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete